As I am finished with largely removing of all the tectyl and sanding down the car (including doors, trunk and hood lid) so time to take it to the bodyshop.
Doors, trunk and hood lid sanded down to bare metal.
Door skin of both doors are pretty much banged up, so I got some NOS door panel skins.
I also found 2 new panels to repair the rust in the rear fender in front of the rear wheels.
As I said in a previous post, the upper panel on the nose is also damaged so I got a good 2nd hand replacement part.
Furthermore there are 2 more damages which will probably need new panels, so I’m still looking replacement panels for this. Damage on the LH FWD side and RH fender:
The floorpanels where the last parts where I had to remove some tectyl, so from now on no more scraping.
Put the car on a trailer
And dropped it off at the bodyshop.
I picked up a restoration stand today, but it is missing a long steel tube to connect the two curved tubes, so I’ll have to find something which will fit.
Everything is removed from the interior, so finally the real fun work can begin! :(. Removing all the glue, adhesives, sealant, isolation panels, dirt etc etc. Especially the sealant at the seams is a bitch. But working with plastic scrapers, a fire torch and lots of patience does the job. The interior is almost done, just some more sealant at the seams has to be removed.
When the interior is clean, I can start with the underside of the car. This will take the most work because underneath the car is completely covered in a 1/2 cm thick layer of tectyl.. For this work I can borrow some sort of restoration stand, so I can put he car on its side to work on the lower side of the car, kinda like as in the image below. It is fitted on the wheel hubs, so the frond and aft suspensions cannot be removed from the car.
This would even be better, but then it would not fit in my garage:
And I also want to build something like this, a sort of transportation stand:
I would like to make something like that, but the frame has to support the car at the jack points, because the front and aft wheel suspensions will remain installed (because of the restoration stand I will use fits on the wheel hubs) untill the car will go to the shop for sand blasting.
Or I could just do it without a restoration stand and do it like this.. 😉
I removed the wire loom from the car and its completely labeled now. Now I have to search for the correct wires, connectors etc etc. I’ve also removed even more parts. The car is almost completely empty now.
First removed the windscreens and then the ceiling. The ceiling I removed with the help of my brother, this was quite the painstaking job, as the ceiling will damage very easy. The wood all around is 47 years old and consists of 2 layers of glued together fine wood, this because it has to be flexible to fit in the curves of the roof. This glue has been deteriorated after 47 years of service and can easily let go when the frame is forced into too sharp bends.
Luckily we removed it almost completely intact. The ceiling does need some attention. Maybe treat the wood with some sort of wood-dye and paint the ceiling? I still have to find out how to do this. Again, luckily there is lots of info to be found on the web about this.
The windscreens where also an easy job. We found some more small rusty spots hiding behind the windscreen rubbers. Again a good indication that this is the right time to take on this job. Next time I will make a summary of the rusty spots wich are now visible.
The sunshades are also worn. I read some articles about how to restore them. Apparently you can cut them open and fill them with some sort of foam wich will harden up. This way you can give the sunshades their original form back again. Also see: http://volvo1800s.up2dateprojecten.nl/restauratie/zonnekleppen-ontroesten/
Here you can see a small damage, the wood has cracked a bit. Not a big problem I guess.
I started to disassemble the car as I want it to be stripped completely to get it sand blasted and painted. I removed some parts under the hood (and the hood itself) to prepare for engine and transmission removal. I also removed some parts from the exterior (chrome strips, grille, bumpers, rear and front lights etc) and interior and making lots of pictures in the process, as all this has also have to be put together again, some day.
The car in my small shed.
I put it on stands, looks like a spaceship.
Finally after years of searching I now am the proud owner of this green Volvo 1800S from 1967. The car was in medium shape, just some minor beginning rust, the paint is bad at some locations and some other parts and pieces of the car wich are in a somewhat neglected condition. I drove the car for a while and now I have started the restoration. I will try to update this blog with the progress of the restoration of this car!
I started with this blog a few months after I started with the actual restoration, so the first blogs are all made in april. I actually started in the end of 2013. Also, the sequence of blogs is not always correct.
We found that the oil filter was placed on a strange spot. It was fitted next to the battery with some extension hoses (to make oil filter changes easier). I also found on an old inspection report of the car that there where some interesting accesoires installed at the time, such as a Halda twinmaster, speedpilot, 4 high-beam Cibié headlights, black race seats, steeringlock, fire extinguisher, minilites 14″ rims. Engine, 4 cilinder 2 liter around 140pk, completely overhauled and tuned. It seems the car was a sort of rally car.