Wrecked a drum

As I am disassembling all parts of the suspension for cleaning and painting, the rear axle was next: removing the drums, brakes, bearings and check the spicer gears.

As the axle is loose from the car and sometimes extreme forces are necessary to remove the drums, it’s a bit difficult to counter the force to tighten the drum puller. But, I bought a almost 100% copy of the original Volvo puller which I thought would have to do the trick.DSC_0788.

It worked ok, but it was just too tight. I used a 1,5m long pipe on the wrench, and for several days, heated the drum, banged it with the BFH (big facking hammer) I have, but no help, it did not bulge. At some time during the rampage the drum began to tear apart…

Then, as I allready wrecked the drum, I used a large Kukko puller and this did the trick. Installed the puller again, Heated it up again, and threw a bucket of cool water over the thing. A minute later there was a big BANG like a gunshot and finally it was loose! Victory was mine! Until I realized that this was only the right side………….

DSC_0883

BUT, the left hand side came of in like a half an hour of pulling. That was a big relief. It suggests that the RH side really was friggin stuck on the axle. But now I finally can continue with disassembling of the rear axle.

DSC_1023 (Small)DSC_1041 (Small)

Disassembled and cleaned rear axle, placed upside down to fully drain the oil

DSC_1074 (Small)

Also started with the fuel tank

DSC_1068 (Small)

And out comes an almost new fuel tank!

DSC_1072 (Small)

I also did another small fun job, I cleaned up the oil pressure transmitter.

DSC_0995DSC_1001

A piece of art

DSC_1011 DSC_1013

Advertenties

Disassembled the front suspension

I disassembled the front suspension. It all looks structurally ok, no heavy corroded pieces, just some superficial corrosion here and there.

8 9 10 11

Shock towers where repaired in the past

12

You can see why they repaired it… I think I’m going to redo the repairs to make sure there no rusty stuff in between the shock tower and the repair plate.

13 14 15

DSC_0748

Placed the car on the stand and removed front suspension & rear axle

Placed the car on the stand (which I had to lower 25 cm) and removed the front suspension and rear axle, a pretty easy job like this. Next step is to get some chemical paint stripper that works on 2K paint (synthetic paint) or skip that and let the sand blaster do the rest. Good paint stripper is very costly and bad for you’re health if you’re not using the right precautions. Decisions, decisions.. 😉

The car on its stand.

1

2 (Medium)

Rear axle removed. It will need new paint, brake lines, handbrake cables, new bushings, new brake cilinders, brake shoes, new springs, new shock absorbers etc etc. I will get to this when the car is away for blasting and painting.

DSC_0656

DSC_06605 (Medium)

Front suspension removed.

DSC_0684 (Medium)

The battered and dirty front suspension; needs new bushings, all needs to be painted or powdercoated, clean or replace brake calipers, replace brake discs and pads, new brake lines, new engine mounts, new springs & shock absorbers, weld on a tow eye on the subframe and possibly reweld the shock towers (check for cracking).

DSC_0688 (Medium)