Calipers

The pistons where stuck in the calipers, but after a little pursuation I got them out. They did not came out with air pressure from my compressor, so tap them further in, put air pressure on it, tap them back in etc etc. After a while a loud bang and out they came one by one.

Then clean it all up to prep for painting. The bolts, clips, pistons and brake pad pins will go with the second batch to be zinc plated. The seals are all pretty much shot, so I need to find new ones.

F0C37BF6-C727-4D87-9B17-4010FD602202

Advertenties

Wrecked a drum

As I am disassembling all parts of the suspension for cleaning and painting, the rear axle was next: removing the drums, brakes, bearings and check the spicer gears.

As the axle is loose from the car and sometimes extreme forces are necessary to remove the drums, it’s a bit difficult to counter the force to tighten the drum puller. But, I bought a almost 100% copy of the original Volvo puller which I thought would have to do the trick.DSC_0788.

It worked ok, but it was just too tight. I used a 1,5m long pipe on the wrench, and for several days, heated the drum, banged it with the BFH (big facking hammer) I have, but no help, it did not bulge. At some time during the rampage the drum began to tear apart…

Then, as I allready wrecked the drum, I used a large Kukko puller and this did the trick. Installed the puller again, Heated it up again, and threw a bucket of cool water over the thing. A minute later there was a big BANG like a gunshot and finally it was loose! Victory was mine! Until I realized that this was only the right side………….

DSC_0883

BUT, the left hand side came of in like a half an hour of pulling. That was a big relief. It suggests that the RH side really was friggin stuck on the axle. But now I finally can continue with disassembling of the rear axle.

DSC_1023 (Small)DSC_1041 (Small)

Disassembled and cleaned rear axle, placed upside down to fully drain the oil

DSC_1074 (Small)

Also started with the fuel tank

DSC_1068 (Small)

And out comes an almost new fuel tank!

DSC_1072 (Small)

I also did another small fun job, I cleaned up the oil pressure transmitter.

DSC_0995DSC_1001

A piece of art

DSC_1011 DSC_1013