Calipers

The pistons where stuck in the calipers, but after a little pursuation I got them out.

Then clean it all up to prep for painting. The bolts, clips, pistons and brake pad pins will go with the second batch to be zinc plated. The seals are all pretty much shot, so ordered a new kit.

F0C37BF6-C727-4D87-9B17-4010FD602202

Car transported

As I am finished with largely removing of all the tectyl and sanding down the car (including doors, trunk and hood lid) so time to take it to the bodyshop.

DSC_4376

DSC_4309DSC_4308

Doors, trunk and hood lid sanded down to bare metal.

DSC_4176

Door skin of both doors are pretty much banged up, so I got some NOS door panel skins.

DSC_4198

I also found 2 new panels to repair the rust in the rear fender in front of the rear wheels.

DSC_4307

As I said in a previous post, the upper panel on the nose is also damaged so I got a good 2nd hand replacement part.

DSC_3948

Furthermore there are 2 more damages which will probably need new panels, so I’m still looking replacement panels for this. Damage on the LH FWD side and RH fender:

DSC_4322DSC_3622DSC_3626

The floorpanels where the last parts where I had to remove some tectyl, so from now on no more scraping.

DSC_4207DSC_4310

Put the car on a trailer

DSC_4419

And dropped it off at the bodyshop.

DSC_4439

Damages found below layers of filler

Sanding the car is making progress, but found damages below the filler.

On the nose in the area below the emblem buckled and dented, pretty bad so I got an replacement part

DSC_3639.1DSC_3949

The right side

DSC_3692.1

So mostly banged up metal, no rust. There is some rust at the bottom corner of the aft fenders in front of the rear wheels so this will probably mean some cutting and replacing panels.

1

And above the rear wheels

DSC_3687

Damages at the right front fender

DSC_3622

A poorly repaired hole in the door sill

DSC_3624 DSC_3626 DSC_3629

Sanding away 6 layers of paint

DSC_3678

DSC_3718

DSC_3685 DSC_3696

More surprises

dsc_3697-1DSC_3698 DSC_3720

Damage on the the front of the fender

DSC_3724

Some damage at the rear upper wing

DSC_3730

The rear looks pretty OK, just some minor dents

DSC_3700

All in all I’m feeling not so lucky. On the other hand, it’s a 48 year old car so it had to have some hidden damages. As I said most damages do not have rust, but they have to be attended to.

I came across this advertisement of Volvo, pretty funny advertising by Volvo.

0a3460b9d3af3611c5790267f77a6ed6

Sanding

While sanding down the car the dust gives a nice effect with the sunlight.

DSC_3538

Recently the guy who is going to do the sheet metal work and welding came by to look the car overr. I will sand down the car to bare metal as much as possible and in a couple of weeks I will bring the car over to him. First thing then is sand blasting andthen he he will start with the repair off all the bad spots and do some modifications. Unfortunately he allready could see some bad rusty spots of which I thought would be not much of a problem, so there will be some major cutting and welding.

DSC_3527 DSC_3544

Sanding down the filler creates a lot of dust, and discoveries of more hidden damages.

DSC_3529

Also did some interior work. I glued the two patches of leather (which I painted) on the second seat bottom frame, quite a time consuming job. Now wait for the glue to dry and I can put the seats completely back together. Possibly I will paint another layer of black leatherpaint on the patches, because they got damaged during the gluing.

DSC_3533 DSC_3532DSC_3537