Milestones

After al these years the welding and sheetmetal stuff is FINALLY done and the body including doors, hood and trunk lid have been lightly shot blasted and painted in epoxy primer. Next: get the car painted!

Advertentie

Car transported

As I am finished with largely removing of all the tectyl and sanding down the car (including doors, trunk and hood lid) so time to take it to the bodyshop.

DSC_4376

DSC_4309DSC_4308

Doors, trunk and hood lid sanded down to bare metal.

DSC_4176

Door skin of both doors are pretty much banged up, so I got some NOS door panel skins.

DSC_4198

I also found 2 new panels to repair the rust in the rear fender in front of the rear wheels.

DSC_4307

As I said in a previous post, the upper panel on the nose is also damaged so I got a good 2nd hand replacement part.

DSC_3948

Furthermore there are 2 more damages which will probably need new panels, so I’m still looking replacement panels for this. Damage on the LH FWD side and RH fender:

DSC_4322DSC_3622DSC_3626

The floorpanels where the last parts where I had to remove some tectyl, so from now on no more scraping.

DSC_4207DSC_4310

Put the car on a trailer

DSC_4419

And dropped it off at the bodyshop.

DSC_4439

Colours

So I´ve decided the color of the car will be red. Volvo used two kinds or red color on 1800´s, color code #70 on early P1800´s of 1961 – 1962 and code #46 on 1800’s from 1963 until 1973.  As I would like to keep things fairly original, I should use #46 as this is the red which was used on a 1967 1800S.

Volvo_P1800_61_70_8511_1Volvo_paint_color_code_70_Red_P1800_Jensen

For example, a car painted in #70 (above) and #46 (below):

Volvo_paint_color_code_46_Cherry_red

Volvo_1800S_67_46_2593_1

Lots of info about the Volvo colors can be read at: http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/general/volvo-color-codes/.

Last moth I’ve did some work on the interior and as I decided the color of the car will be red, I am going with the red-black exterior-interior combination, like this:

Volvo_1800S_67_46_0692_4

http://volvo1800pictures.com/main/main_gallery_1800S_67_php.php

So, red exterior, black seats and panels and red carpet. Searching for a nice 2nd hand, not rotten away black 1800s interior would not going to be an easy find. Impossible I found out later on. I also checked out of curiosity what it would cost if you would buy it all new, this would be around €2500. Not an option for my financial situation. So, after some searching on the net I found some people who painted their seats with leatherpaint with pretty good results and a good price – quality. So I painted the interior black:

First some repairs and clean everything thoroughly. My seats are in good condition so no heavy tears or worn out cushions, perfect to be painted.

DSC_2792 (Medium)

Then the paint. It dries pretty quickly.

DSC_3111 (Medium) DSC_3115 (Medium) DSC_3125 (Medium) DSC_3127 (Medium) DSC_3181 (Medium) DSC_3186 (Medium) DSC_3228 (Medium)

The seat support and brackets are powedercoated and all nuts, bolts and seat rails are nickle-plated so all shiny. I’m assembling the seats now.

DSC_3261 (Medium) DSC_3267 (Medium) DSC_3269 (Medium) DSC_3271 (Medium)DSC_3305

I had to tap the threads of the 5/16 nuts in the seat bottom base, which were accidentally powdercoated, and gluing the covers on the bum frame.

DSC_3505

Next job will be to paint the interior panels, but first I have to replace the wooden panels with some waterproof ones and then I can paint the panels.

DSC_3349

Also the dashboard is finished. I was a bit in doubt if I would repad the whole thing, but this was not necessary. There where only 2 small cracks which I repaired (stop-drilled, filled up and painted) so I decided not to repad it. A repaired and painted fresh almost new dash (the holes will be covered by the radio):

DSC_2788 (Medium)

DSC_3216 (Medium)

DSC_3220 (Medium)

And cleaned up the rear axle and applied the first three layers of paint (1st & 2nd RX5, 3rd 50% RX5 – 50% RX10, next layer 5% RX5 – 95% RX10):

DSC_3242 (Medium)DSC_3394DSC_3398DSC_3399

And cleaning out the interior radiator, lots of sludge came out. The thing looks overall very good, possibly I’ll send it to a radiator shop for a check up.

DSC_3384DSC_3353

And after some polishing (still have to finish it)

DSC_3413

Also all the bolts, nuts and brackets are re-plated. I made pictures of all assemblies previously so now sorting it all.

DSC_3133 (Medium)DSC_3215 (Medium)DSC_3231 (Medium)DSC_3325DSC_3326DSC_3435DSC_3268