Rear axle rebuild

Also still busy with the diff. It has been painted and many parts zinc plated. I lost most of the pictures I made when disassembling so it takes some time to figure out how it needs to go back together again.

The LH side has new bearings and seals and the backplate is back on. I am waiting on some more new parts, bearing kit for the RH side and new brake shoes. I also have new pinion seal, brake drums and one new hub (I destroyed a hub and drum during a failed attempt to remove them with the wrong puller).

When the other bearing kit is in I need to figure out how to shim the axles.

Colours

So I´ve decided the color of the car will be red. Volvo used two kinds or red color on 1800´s, color code #70 on early P1800´s of 1961 – 1962 and code #46 on 1800’s from 1963 until 1973.  As I would like to keep things fairly original, I should use #46 as this is the red which was used on a 1967 1800S.

Volvo_P1800_61_70_8511_1Volvo_paint_color_code_70_Red_P1800_Jensen

For example, a car painted in #70 (above) and #46 (below):

Volvo_paint_color_code_46_Cherry_red

Volvo_1800S_67_46_2593_1

Lots of info about the Volvo colors can be read at: http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/general/volvo-color-codes/.

Last moth I’ve did some work on the interior and as I decided the color of the car will be red, I am going with the red-black exterior-interior combination, like this:

Volvo_1800S_67_46_0692_4

http://volvo1800pictures.com/main/main_gallery_1800S_67_php.php

So, red exterior, black seats and panels and red carpet. Searching for a nice 2nd hand, not rotten away black 1800s interior would not going to be an easy find. Impossible I found out later on. I also checked out of curiosity what it would cost if you would buy it all new, this would be around €2500. Not an option for my financial situation. So, after some searching on the net I found some people who painted their seats with leatherpaint with pretty good results and a good price – quality. So I painted the interior black:

First some repairs and clean everything thoroughly. My seats are in good condition so no heavy tears or worn out cushions, perfect to be painted.

DSC_2792 (Medium)

Then the paint. It dries pretty quickly.

DSC_3111 (Medium) DSC_3115 (Medium) DSC_3125 (Medium) DSC_3127 (Medium) DSC_3181 (Medium) DSC_3186 (Medium) DSC_3228 (Medium)

The seat support and brackets are powedercoated and all nuts, bolts and seat rails are nickle-plated so all shiny. I’m assembling the seats now.

DSC_3261 (Medium) DSC_3267 (Medium) DSC_3269 (Medium) DSC_3271 (Medium)DSC_3305

I had to tap the threads of the 5/16 nuts in the seat bottom base, which were accidentally powdercoated, and gluing the covers on the bum frame.

DSC_3505

Next job will be to paint the interior panels, but first I have to replace the wooden panels with some waterproof ones and then I can paint the panels.

DSC_3349

Also the dashboard is finished. I was a bit in doubt if I would repad the whole thing, but this was not necessary. There where only 2 small cracks which I repaired (stop-drilled, filled up and painted) so I decided not to repad it. A repaired and painted fresh almost new dash (the holes will be covered by the radio):

DSC_2788 (Medium)

DSC_3216 (Medium)

DSC_3220 (Medium)

And cleaned up the rear axle and applied the first three layers of paint (1st & 2nd RX5, 3rd 50% RX5 – 50% RX10, next layer 5% RX5 – 95% RX10):

DSC_3242 (Medium)DSC_3394DSC_3398DSC_3399

And cleaning out the interior radiator, lots of sludge came out. The thing looks overall very good, possibly I’ll send it to a radiator shop for a check up.

DSC_3384DSC_3353

And after some polishing (still have to finish it)

DSC_3413

Also all the bolts, nuts and brackets are re-plated. I made pictures of all assemblies previously so now sorting it all.

DSC_3133 (Medium)DSC_3215 (Medium)DSC_3231 (Medium)DSC_3325DSC_3326DSC_3435DSC_3268