Placed the car on the stand (which I had to lower 25 cm) and removed the front suspension and rear axle, a pretty easy job like this. Next step is to get some chemical paint stripper that works on 2K paint (synthetic paint) or skip that and let the sand blaster do the rest. Good paint stripper is very costly and bad for you’re health if you’re not using the right precautions. Decisions, decisions.. 😉
The car on its stand.
Rear axle removed. It will need new paint, brake lines, handbrake cables, new bushings, new brake cilinders, brake shoes, new springs, new shock absorbers etc etc. I will get to this when the car is away for blasting and painting.
Front suspension removed.
The battered and dirty front suspension; needs new bushings, all needs to be painted or powdercoated, clean or replace brake calipers, replace brake discs and pads, new brake lines, new engine mounts, new springs & shock absorbers, weld on a tow eye on the subframe and possibly reweld the shock towers (check for cracking).
I picked up a transportation stand which is needed to transport the 1800 to the welder, painter and sand blaster. The stand needed some small adjustments to be able to fit the car on top of it, it needed to be lowered quite a bit. When this is finished the car will first go to the welder for a first inspection of what parts of the bodywork will need repair.
So I got the wider steelies I ordered from http://www.volvoklassiekerswebshop.nl/ and they are awesome! I like it! They have some small imperfections (the rims are reproductions) so I have to see what can be done about this (I contacted the company from wich I bought the wheels).
And I am almost done with scraping all the mess off of the car beacause of the sandblasting. Soon the car will go to a welder / sandblaster / painter. I did found some good shops who can do these jobs, so we will see what will happen! Yesterday we flipped the car around to do some last pieces of scraping, my brother was helping big time and also made a funny time lapse with his gopro-be-a-hero machine:
After flipping it to the other side:
I’m actually making some progress in the tectyl scraping business. Before I thought it would be much harder to get it off, but I have to say it’s going pretty well (or it looks easy because my head is getting all fucked up by sniffing these gasses coming off of the heated up tectyl 😉 ). I think I’m now halfway there.
I’m also still looking for someone who can fix the small rusty spots on the car. I hope this person is also able to do the painting as well. It’s also still a possibility the car will go to a repair shop, but thats probably gonna be more expensive. As you see I’m still figuring out what to do ;).
Still a weird sight seeing the Volvo on it’s side
And I’m saving some money for these 15″ 5,5J 123GT bad boys (60’s bad boys :D). I now have the 15″ 4,5J standard rims, but these 15″ look much better on the car (see example bottom picture) because these rims are 1″ wider. They now have a 8% discount 1ea so I’m not going to wait too long! I like the Minilites more, but these are very rare and very, very expensive.
The restoration stand has been strengthened (my father welded it, it has gained about 20 kilo’s of welding wire and it can hold a tug boat now 😉 ), painted it, installed the car again and continued with removing of the tectyl.
This is better than scraping when lying on my back!
Also visited my uncle who is restoring a Nekaf M38a1 truck (a in Holland license build Willy Jeep), which was used by the Dutch military back in the days. My uncle, who served in the military, also worked on these 4X4’s back then, so I guess, in a way it’s a bit the same story as me and my Volvo ;). Anyways, it’s a nice project! I hope to see it back on it’s wheels again some day!
Also available with a anti tank cannon 😛