I picked up a restoration stand today. It looks sturdy enough. It’s missing a long steel tube to connect the two curved tubes, so I’ll have to find something which will fit.
Lots of space in the 940 😉
I started to disassemble the car, as the car has to be stripped completely to get it sand blasted and painted. I removed some parts under the hood (and the hood itself) to prepare for engine and transmission removal. I also removed some parts from the exterior (chrome strips, grille, bumpers, rear and front lights etc) and interior and making lots of pictures in the process, as all this has also have to be put together again, some day.
The car in my small garage.
I put it on stands, looks kinda like a spaceship from Star Wars now.
So it needs to be scratched. I started (as a sort of trial to see how though the undercoating is) with removing some coating at the inside of the RH front fender. The car had been treated with a coating on the under- and inside of the car somewhere in the early ’00’s. This means lots of extra work all around the car…
Finally after years of searching I now am the proud owner of this green Volvo 1800S from 1967, my dream car! The car was in medium shape, just some minor beginning rust, the paint is bad at some locations and some other parts and pieces of the car wich are in a somewhat neglected condition. I drove the car for a while and now I have started the restoration. I will try to update this blog with the progress of the restoration of this car!
I started with this blog a few months after I started with the actual restoration, so the first blogs are all made in april. I actually started in the end of 2013. Also, the sequence of blogs is not always correct, i.e., door removed and in the next blog they are fitted again, no I am not that stupid ;). And, as a second disclaimer, as I am from the Netherlands it’s possible that my english grammar will not always be correct as it should be.
Back to business,the car:
My father checking out the car, he has worked on these cars years ago so he knows a thing or two about these cars.
He also found that the oil filter was placed on a strange spot. It was fitted next to the battery with some extension hoses (I guess this is done, so oil filter changes are easily done). I also found on an old inspection report of the car that there where some interesting accesoires installed at the time, such as: a Halda twinmaster, speedpilot, 4 high-beam Cibié headlights, black race seats, steeringlock, fire extinguisher, minilites 14″ rims. Engine, 4 cilinder 2 liter around 140pk, completely overhauled and tuned.
So it seems I bought an ex rally car, cool :D.