Removed engine and transmission

Engine and transmission are removed in one piece with the help of my brother. It was quite an easy job.

AfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeeldingAfbeelding

Placed the engine in an engine stand. The engine will not require much work as it has been overhauled completely some years ago so I will just do some small work to it. New paint, new freeze plugs (one was leaking), new water- and fuel pump, some new packings and seals and some new hoses. During some time they replaced the original B18 engine with a B20. This is a B20 with an E head (you can see the capped off injector holes). This engine has a bit more power due to bigger valves and more compression, the last taxation report stated ‘aprox 140HP’. This also means unfortunately no matching numbers for the engine. The trans is still the same unit at it left the factory with.

Afbeelding

foto 2

Advertentie

Dash and wire loom

I removed the dash and labeled the wire loom, quite a job! The wire loom still has to be removed from the car, this is a bit difficult due to the small hole in the firewall through wich the loom has to be pulled. The wire loom is in a bit of a bad shape, I’ll have to see if I’m going to fix it or go the lazy and expensive path and buy a new one.

Afbeelding

Removed some more parts

The removing more parts process is going pretty fast as it is a not very difficult job. The most important thing is to make pictures and label everything. Removing the engine will be easy with this much space in the engine bay. I also did some labeling of the main wire loom.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

 

Removed the fuel tank. No rust to be found here.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The doors are also stripped and removed. No rust to be found here.

IMG_1899

IMG_1927

 

Due to a tip on http://www.volvokv.nl I read that the shock towers of the front suspension are prone to cracking with higher mileages. I found that this car has allready been repaired, some welds are visible along with an extra reinforced piece of metal on top of the towers. Thats a good thing.

Afbeelding

 

Started disassembling

I started to disassemble the car as I want it to be stripped completely to get it sand blasted and painted. I removed some parts under the hood (and the hood itself) to prepare for engine and transmission removal. I also removed some parts from the exterior like chrome strips, grille, bumpers, rear and front lights etc and making lots of pictures in the process, as all this has also have to be put together again, some day.

The car in my small shed.

IMG_1825

I put it on stands, it looks like a spaceship.

IMG_1871

Gutted the interior

foto 4

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Beautiful dash!     Afbeelding

Removing tectyl

I started with removing some of the coating at the inside of the RH front fender to get a better view of the state of the body. The car had been treated with a coating on the under- and inside of the car somewhere in the early ’00’s. This probably protected the body, but it can also hide any (beginning) rust. This means lots of extra work scraping all around the car… Afbeelding

Restoring a Volvo 1800S ’67

Finally after years of searching I now am the proud owner of this green Volvo 1800S from 1967. The car was in medium shape, just some minor beginning rust, the paint is bad at some locations and some other parts and pieces of the car wich are in a somewhat neglected condition. I drove the car for a while and now started the restoration. I will try to update this blog with the progress of the restoration of this car!

I started with this blog a few months after I started with the actual restoration, so the first blogs are all made in april. I actually started in the end of 2013. Also, the sequence of blogs is not always correct.

The car:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We found that the oil filter was fitted next to the battery with some extension hoses, probably to make oil filter changes easier. I also found on an old inspection report of the car that there where some interesting accesoires installed back then, such as a Halda twinmaster, speedpilot, 4 high-beam CibiĆ© headlights, black race seats, steeringlock, fire extinguisher, minilites 14″ rims. Engine, 4 cilinder 2 liter around 140pk, completely overhauled and tuned. It seems the car was prepped and used for amature rallying, nice!