Dash and wire loom

I removed the dash and labeled the wire loom, quite a job! The wire loom still has to be removed from the car, this is a bit difficult due to the small hole in the firewall through wich the loom has to be pulled. The wire loom I have to reproduce as it has been worn a bit at some places. This also will be a hell of a job, as I do not have this much experience in wiring.

Afbeelding

Advertenties

Removed some more parts

I made some more room, the stripping process is going pretty fast as it is a not very difficult job. The most important thing is to make pictures and label everything. Removing the engine will be easy with this much space in the engine bay. I also did some labeling of the main wire loom.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

 

Removed the fuel tank. No rust to be found here.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The doors are also stripped and removed. No rust to be found here.

IMG_1899

IMG_1927

 

Due to a tip on http://www.volvokv.nl I read that the shock towers of the front suspension are prone to cracking with higher mileages. I found that this car has allready been repaired, some welds are visible along with an extra reinforced piece of metal on top of the towers. Thats a good thing! But also a bit questionable. The ODO counter registered some 70.000 miles, do these shock towers crack at this mileage? Will the mistery unfold someday? Who knows..

Afbeelding

 

Started with disassembling the car

I started to disassemble the car, as the car has to be stripped completely to get it sand blasted and painted. I removed some parts under the hood (and the hood itself) to prepare for engine and transmission removal. I also removed some parts from the exterior (chrome strips, grille, bumpers, rear and front lights etc) and interior and making lots of pictures in the process, as all this has also have to be put together again, some day.

The car in my small garage.

IMG_1825

I put it on stands, looks kinda like a spaceship from Star Wars now.

IMG_1871

foto 4

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Beautiful dash!     Afbeelding

The Quest begins, to restore a Volvo 1800S ’67

Finally after years of searching I now am the proud owner of this green Volvo 1800S from 1967, my dream car!  The car was in medium shape, just some minor beginning rust, the paint is bad at some locations and some other parts and pieces of the car wich are in a somewhat neglected condition. I drove the car for a while and now I have started the restoration. I will try to update this blog with the progress of the restoration of this car!

I started with this blog a few months after I started with the actual restoration, so the first blogs are all made in april. I actually started in the end of 2013. Also, the sequence of blogs is not always correct, i.e., door removed and in the next blog they are fitted again, no I am not that stupid ;). And, as a second disclaimer, as I am from the Netherlands it’s possible that my english grammar will not always be correct as it should be.

Back to business,the car:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA135670226_7_big

My father checking out the car, he has worked on these cars years ago so he knows a thing or two about these cars.

IMG_1490

 

He also found that the oil filter was placed on a strange spot. It was fitted next to the battery with some extension hoses (I guess this is done, so oil filter changes are easily done). I also found on an old inspection report of the car that there where some interesting accesoires installed at the time, such as: a Halda twinmaster, speedpilot, 4 high-beam Cibié headlights, black race seats, steeringlock, fire extinguisher, minilites 14″ rims. Engine, 4 cilinder 2 liter around 140pk, completely overhauled and tuned.

So it seems I bought an ex rally car, cool :D.